Little Mister’s Birth Story

Leave a comment

May 15, 2013 by Alicia

It all started last May when…… just kidding 🙂

Little Mister’s arrival was all up in the air (aren’t they all?). The farther along in my pregnancy I became, the more doctors were unsure of my actual due date.  I really wanted to have a vaginal delivery this time but I was SO miserable toward the end. I scheduled a C-section for 3 days after my first due date. About 2 weeks before that, the doctor said she thought I was measuring small so she sent me for an ultrasound (this was deja vu from my first pregnancy). That ultrasound showed that I might be due a week later than they thought. I pushed back my scheduled section another week – I really didn’t want to get cut if I hadn’t even hit my due date yet.

So it was Tuesday, February 19. I woke up at 5:12 a.m. from a contraction. I kept contracting about every 10 mins. I went downstairs to the couch so I wouldn’t wake the hubs until they were closer together. I contracted like that for about 2 hours. I finally called the doc and told her some things that were going on and she told me to go to labor & delivery. So I ate something (knowing they wouldn’t let me once I got there) and we were off! But then my contractions pretty much stopped as soon as we walked into the hospital. Boo. So after getting violated by a few different doctors, doing a non-stress test, and having another ultrasound- they sent me home.

I contracted maybe 3 times an hour for the rest of the day until 7:30 p.m. I started contracting every 8-10 minutes. I couldn’t sleep all night and kept contracting every 8-10 minutes until 4:45 a.m. (Meanwhile the hubs was sleeping like a baby-ha!) They kept coming but weren’t getting any closer together. I finally called the doctor at 4:45 a.m. and she said I could come in to labor & delivery and get checked. If I was dilated, they’d keep me. Or I could wait till 8 a.m. and go into the office and get checked. Well, after contracting steadily for 9 hours at home, I decided I was not going to wait till 8 a.m. to get checked. Because, in case you were wondering, contractions are NOT fun. So, again, I woke Mr. Rocktar up, ate something and off we went!

Much to my surprise, I was dilated to 3 centimeters! I was so terrified happy when they said they were going to admit me. At about 6:30 a.m. they asked me if I wanted an epidural. I said “I can have one already? I thought I had to be more dilated?” She said “Nope, you can if you want!” Hmm let me think about it, does a bear crap in the woods? OF COURSE I want the drugs! Well that was around shift change, so it ended up being around 8 a.m. before the anesthesiologist made it to my room. The nurses kept apologizing that I was having to wait, but I mean, after 9 hours without it- another hour wasn’t going to kill me. (Sidenote- my nurses were amazing!)

After getting a spinal with Little Miss, I wasn’t that worried about getting an epidural (even though I’m terrified of needles). I just didn’t look at the equipment and told the drug dealer anesthesiologist to not tell me anything he was doing. So he and the nurse started talking about their dogs (lol) while he was shooting me up. It was great because I was listening to their conversation and not thinking about that giant needle in my back. He said it would take about 20 minutes to take full effect. Well, about 45 minutes later, I was still feeling pretty much everything. The nurse called him back in and he was shocked I wasn’t numb. He gave me some more – woo hoo! The nurse said “Man, you are on some serious amount of anesthesia!” It finally worked and all was right in the world!

I tried so hard to take a nap since I had been up for 29 hours straight at this point but I couldn’t. My room was right next to the nurses’ station which is a hoppin’ place during the day. We were also in the middle of selling one of our homes in TN so the hubs had to go to the bank and take care of some things. He felt bad leaving me but I told him I was fine and was only dilated to 4 so we had time. So the day went on basically just waiting to dilate more and trying to rest.

However, every few hours, my epidural would completely wear off and we’d basically have to start all over with that. Everyone was shocked I wasn’t staying numb but I wasn’t surprised. If you remember, my spinal didn’t take with Little Miss either. But when it was working, it was fun for hubs to look at the screen and say “Whoa that was a huge contraction!” I couldn’t feel it at all. An epidural is a beautiful thing! Now for the life-wrenching terrifying difficult fun part.

It was about 4:45 p.m. and the nurses/doctor said they were coming back in 15 minutes and I was going to start pushing. Well, lucky for me, this is exactly when my epidural started wearing off again. The nurse came back in about 5:10 and I told her and she said they weren’t going to give me any more because I was so close and they didn’t want to slow labor down. So I braced myself for having to deliver with almost all my feeling back. At 5:17 p.m., I started pushing.

Delivering was definitely not what I thought it was going to be. First of all, my feet were not up in stirrups (like on tv, ha). And the doctor wasn’t even in there for probably the first half of me pushing. The baby was really starting to progress out and one nurse told the other nurse “you better call the doctor, she needs to get here” To which I replied “I hope you can catch because I’m having this baby whether the doctor is here or not!” And on we went, push-breathe-push-breath-push-breathe, water. I repeated that cycle until our little man finally emerged at 6:13 p.m.

They put him up on my chest and started wiping him off and the hubs told me it was a boy! All I could think was “OMG IT’S A BOY!!!” and “OMG HE’S SO GROSS!!!” They announced his time of birth and I just laid there holding him while the doctor finished her business down in my business. Then I said “someone’s gotta take him, I’m gonna puke!” One nurse grabbed the baby and another put a bowl next to my face and I yakked everywhere. Have you ever tried to puke laying down? It’s virtually impossible to not get it all over yourself. So that was good times.

So they took his measurements, wrapped him up and handed him back. And they all lived happily ever after.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: